Bible-based literacy project
To promote basic literacy, as well as Bible literacy, especially among children in the foundation stages of education through Bible-based literacy material.
- Basic education in South Africa is inadequate. A recent study found that eight out of 10 grade 4 learners were unable to read with comprehension in the language of their choice.
- Thousands of children in poor areas are not exposed to literacy in the same way as privileged children and they often start their school careers at a disadvantage.
- After thorough research, the Bible Society developed Bible-based literacy material to promote basic reading and writing skills.
- The two booklets, My first Bible Do and Learn Book and My 2nd Bible Do and Learn Book are available in English, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, Sesotho, isiZulu, Sepedi, Setswana, Tshivenda and Xitsonga. The Siswati and isiNdebele material both have proceeded through the test phase and will be published in 2018.
- Various schools make material available with the approval of foundation phase divisions of education departments. It is also used in pre-primary schools and even Sunday schools.
- Any person who can read can, with the help of the accompanying manual and flashcards, help others to master these basic skills.
- Suitable partners (churches, organisations and individuals) help with the implementation of the project.
- The booklets are made available free of charge to schools and groups that cannot afford it. In 2017, some 57 000 children received these Bible-based booklets.
- While children, some who come from underprivileged households, master the necessary reading and writing skills, they will also hear about Jesus and the Bible from an early age.
- Many children who receive the booklets come from families where the parents cannot read either. The children take their booklets home and may teach their parents to read.
How can you help?
R1 000 000 is needed to ensure that enough copies of the literacy material are made available free of charge, as well as for the possible development of Book 3 in English in 2018.
Make a difference. Be a sower of hope.
* Please use reference code: 1533